Monday, January 25, 2010

New Blog for a New Year

I started blogging 2 years ago. I've recorded many memories, reconnected with many friends and made many new friends. But that's not all the good that has come from blogging - When we were looking into renting a home in this new state, the realtor actually Googled us and found my blog. He was prepared and composed by the time we pulled up in the "Mother Ship" and kid after kid filed out of the 15 passenger van. I was nervous we'd scare him away, but he already knew a little bit about us before we even showed up.

But I've heard the horror stories and been warned about sickos stalking the Internet. While only good has come from my blogging experiences, I've been concerned since I've posted all of my children's names and ages, along with pictures, birthdays, anniversaries, schools, cities, relatives, etc. I've Googled our names and it's kind of frightening the info that easily comes up. But I'd hate to go completely private. I've met some wonderful friends who've stumbled upon my blog and I know how exciting it is to find a friend from high school and to see what their up to. So, I've decided to make my old blog private and to have a new, public blog with a little more privacy.

Now I will just have to come up with a system to keep my kids straight. Nicknames? Numbers? Maybe we'll have a vote where you can all help me name my kids! As for me, I'm still Mom... but you can call me Dione.

6 comments:

Bethany said...

What about naming them after the VanTrap kids? You totally should.

Kristina P. said...

Good for you!

Cindy Thomas Munksgard said...

You know it's a sad world when you have to censor your children's names...

It's a good idea though...

Miss you!

Momnerd said...

My kids names are censored too. I'm excited to read your here now, though! I have had great friendships come from blogging as well. I just wish you still lived in Utah so we could be IRL friends as well as cousins, too!

Nicole Marsh said...

I seriously go back and forth about going private and watching what I write. Stupid sickos!! They have to go and ruin everyhing.Good luck with the new blog.

Valorie said...

I have the same worries. You have a good idea.